Category: Image, Idaho
Portraits represent various tribal groups, including, among many others, the Apache Indians, Arapaho Indians, Arikara Indians, Bannock Indians, Cherokee Indians, Cheyenne Indians, , Oglala Indians, Ojibwa Indians, Omaha Indians, Oohenonpa Indians, Santee Indians, Seminole Indians, Tohono O’odham Indians, Ute Indians, Wichita Indians, and Yuma Indians. Exterior images consist primarily of informal portraiture, as well as depicting residences and settlements, including the Crow Indian Agency in Montana, 1871; the Pawnee Indian School and buildings at the Pawnee Reserve, Loup Fork, Nebraska, 1871; and a Bannock Indian camp near Fort Hall, Idaho, 1872.
Have questions? Project Title: Idaho Waters Digital Library About the Project: The Idaho Waters Digital Library provides access to information resources relating to water issues in key Idaho river basins. The collection presently includes scientific and technical reports, with an emphasis on Idaho Water Resources Research Institute reports and publications. This centralized digital repository provides a searchable interface for discovery and utilization of water resources documents. As funding sources are identified, this collection will continue to grow in size and scope. Digitized materials from this collection are also available through the Western Waters Digital Library .
A century ago, for about 16 hours over April 9th and 10th, 1911, former President Theodore Roosevelt visited the University of Idaho. Roosevelt arrived at 6:30 PM on Sunday, April 9, and took a room at the Hotel Moscow. He woke to rain and clouds the next morning, breakfasted at Ridenbaugh Hall from 7:45 - 8:45 AM " with a large and select party ," planted a tree (that still stands today) in front of the Administration Building, and then spoke, just as the rain stopped, to a reported 8000 people from a platform made of sacks of " North Idaho's famous wheat ." In his speech, Roosevelt mentioned his first visit to Idaho came before any of the students in attendance were born.
About the Collection The Family Tree was a newsletter published by Potlatch Forests, Inc. for their employees from 1936 - 1952. The newsletter covers local (Northern Idaho) and national events, with a special focus on issues pertaining to Potlatch Forests, Inc. and its loggers and other employees. The content varies greatly — from reports on the head injuries of sawmill workers to editorials on the war crimes of Hirohito , written near the end of WWII — and is consistently well-written and evocative of the daily life of Potlatch workers and their families during these years. Some other interesting Family Tree articles include: The collection was digitized in the summer of 2010, per user request.
Questions? questions? Contact Devin: firstname.lastname@example.org (208) 885-7040 The University of Idaho Library houses a collection of historical photographs donated by Clifford M. Ott in 1992. Mr. Ott was an avid amateur photographer who amassed over 10,000 slides, prints, and negatives spanning the years from 1883 to 1990. Ott compiled a selection from his collection into eleven albums containing a total of over 1,800 images of Moscow and surrounding Latah County. These scrap books contain photos as well as newspaper clippings, and historic footnotes. Clifford Ott used these scrapbooks, and other slides and negatives, to give talks to senior groups about Latah County history. Clifford M. Ott was a Moscow resident for ninety years.
About Lewiston Orchards Life Lewiston Orchards Life was a neighborhood newsletter published in Lewiston, Idaho during the early 1900s that covered the horticultural and residential events of those living in Lewiston Orchards. Special Collection & Archives at the University of Idaho Library holds fourteen issues as part of their Day Northwest Collection. About Lewiston Orchards Now a residential neighborhood in Lewiston, Idaho, Lewiston Orchards was once a vast commercial garden. The area produced apples, apricots, cherries, berries, plums, pears, quinces, peaches, nuts, lettuce, and grapes in abundance. The ???Orchards??? grew out of an ambitious land development and irrigation project, which was conceived and undertaken by Harry L. Powers at the turn of the 20th century.
Questions? questions? Contact Devin: email@example.com (208) 885-7040 The Kyle Laughlin photographs were donated to University of Idaho Library Special Collections in February of 1985 by Marguerite Laughlin. It was processed and described in 1998 and 1999 by Karen Hertel. Kyle Laughlin (1905-1984) was a Moscow, Idaho resident and businessman for 56 years. He was born May 24, 1905 to Edward and Eva Laughlin in Ozark, Missouri. When Laughlin was about seven, the family moved to southeast Idaho where Kyle graduated from Ashton High School. He attended the University of Idaho and graduated in 1931 with a degree in teaching. In 1933, Kyle Laughlin married Marguerite Ward in Moscow. Marguerite was also a UI graduate and teacher.
ABOUT THE CAMP The Kooskia (pronounced KOOS-key) Internment Camp is an obscure and virtually forgotten World War II detention facility that was located in a remote area of north central Idaho, 30 miles from the town of Kooskia, and 6 miles east of the hamlet of Lowell, at Canyon Creek. The camp was administered by the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) for the U.S. Department of Justice. It held men of Japanese ancestry who were termed "enemy aliens," even though most of them were long-time U.S. residents.
A collection of reports, studies, and documents published by the Intermountain Forest Tree Nutrition Cooperative (IFTNC), a research cooperative composed of public and private forestry organizations that is located administratively in the College of Natural Resources at the University of Idaho.
About Us The University of Idaho Library has grown from a single classroom located in the University Administration Building in 1892, to become the largest library in the state of Idaho. The University of Idaho library houses well over a million books and almost ten thousand periodical subscriptions, in print and online. It has served for over a century as an official regional depository of U.S. federal government publications, making almost two million government documents available to the public.
Edward John Iddings was the Dean of the College of Agriculture at UI from 1915 to 1946. These slides depict agricultural and university-related scenes from Idaho, as well as images from Iddings' travels.
A collection of photographs by Robert E. Higgins, a professor of plant science at the University of Idaho from 1946 to 1999. During his lifetime, Professor Higgins’ photographs were accepted in over 70 juried international salons, and he had one-artist exhibitions in Idaho, Washington, and California. To see the photos on flickr, click here.
A digital collection comprised of historical photograhs and documents pertaining to the history of the University of Idaho, selected from several different collections held by the University of Idaho Library Special Collections & Archives. The images and documents span the years 1889 to 1975, documenting campus life at the University. To explore the collection by date or location, or to find out more about the collection, use the tabs above. Questions? questions? Contact Devin: firstname.lastname@example.org (208) 885-7040 The photographs from this collection come from a variety of individual collections held by the University of Idaho Library's Special Collections & Archives Department.
Questions? The Historical Gameday Program Covers Collection consists of about 150 program covers and corresponding metadata, covering the years 1908 to 1967 and including both home and away games. Covers can be browsed by place or date, using the Locations and Timeline tabs. Full programs can be browsed by request via a visit to the University of Idaho Library Special Collections & Archives department. The visual and creative skills that informed the creation of these covers demonstrate both the artistic and historical styles of their time periods. If you are interested in ordering a high resolution copy of one of these images, please contact Special Collections at email@example.com .
A digital collection comprised of historical photograhs and documents pertaining to the history of the Dworshak Dam, selected primarily from the collection of A. B. Curtis, former mayor of Orofino, Idaho. The images and documents span the years 1952 to 1972, documenting both the legislative history that led to the dam's construction and the construction itself. To explore the collection by date or location, or to find out more about the collection, use the tabs above. Questions? questions? Contact Devin: firstname.lastname@example.org (208) 885-7040 The Dworshak Dam Collection is a collection that is still under development.
The Columbia River Basin Project Begun with the construction of the Grand Coulee Dam in 1933, the Columbia River Basin Project is one of the largest, and most contentious, engineering projects ever completed in the American West. Franklin Roosevelt originally authorized the construction of the dam with the intention of diverting huge portions of the Columbia River to the fertile, though arid, Washington State Interior.??With the outbreak of World War II, however, irrigation initiatives were put on hold, and hydroelectric power became the dam's primary function. This change in use proved important historically.
Among the riches of the historical photograph collections of the University of Idaho Library is an oversize portfolio of eighty original Carleton E. Watkins photographs. Long considered lost, these photographs of the interior of the Anaconda Mines in Butte, Montana, were taken in 1890. They show early hard-rock mining techniques, equipment, and men deep underground.
About the Fires The spring of 1910 was ominously dry throughout Idaho, Washington, and Montana. In the Coeur d’Alene National Forest alone, U.S. Forest Service officials had been battling fires since early April. In July, a rainless electrical storm ignited even more blazes across the Northern Rockies. Bad as it was, conditions got worse. On August 20, a “Palouser” wind whipped through the forests, creating an inferno now known as the Big Burn. The fires took the lives of nearly 90 people, leveled entire communities, burned almost 3 million acres of timber, and set US Forest Service fire policy for the next 6 decades. ?? About the Collection These materials come from the University of Idaho Library's Special Collections and Archives department.
A digital collection comprised of over 1200 historical photograhs collected and/or taken by T.N. Barnard or Nellie Stockbridge. The images span the years 1894 to 1964, containing images of Northern Idaho (Wallace/Kellogg Area) mines, towns, fires, scenery, and historical sites. To explore the collection by date or location, or to find out more about the collection, use the tabs above. Questions? questions? Contact Devin: email@example.com (208) 885-7040 In 1964 the University of Idaho Library received a collection of over 200,000 nitrocellulose and glass plate negatives taken by Nellie Stockbridge and her predecessor and founder of the studio, Mr. T.N. Barnard.
Idaho Agricultural Experiment Station Bulletin Number 1, September 1892 About the Collection The History The diffusion of useful and practical, research-based information on agriculture and related subjects has been a primary responsibility of the Idaho Agricultural Experiment Station and University of Idaho Extension since their beginnings. The University of Idaho Board of Regents established the Idaho Agricultural Experiment Station at the UI in 1892 following passage of the federal Hatch Act (1887), which provided for the creation of agricultural experiment stations at state land-grant colleges.